Coming out
I came out to my wife about 6 weeks ago. I have tried to exercise patience, and am often successful with that. I am also human and only have so much patience to go around. I fail. I hope I succeed more often though.
Selecting other people to come out to is a task I take very seriously.
My wife, exploded a few weeks ago and ended up telling two of her friends. This upset me a bit, but I hope that the damage remains compartmentalized until I can come out to my friends and family first.
I suppose I should move a little faster than I previously had hoped. I ended up coming out to a close co-worker who has had experience with another "trans person" in the office. I really wanted his insights into how the company handled it.
I really wanted to come out to my best friend first, but he's had a rough go of this year so far. Two of his family members had encountered cancers in years past and one died yesterday and the other seems to be winning their second battle. It doesn't seem like a good time to brooch the subject. Though I am sure our relationship would survive it. Funny enough, I had "prematurely" come out to him over 15 years ago, but then rescinded the whole deal feeling like my "transness" was not "transy" enough to be a real trans "thing" because I had (have) a "REAL Transwoman friend" who put emphasis on different things in her life. IDK, what can I say, I was younger and much dumber... you can't self-diagnose this stuff! So it you are in the same boat, get some therapy, it is the best money you'll ever spend.
My therapist specializes in "coming out" issues. So I am working up what I want to say so I can go over it with her this week. I want to cover my family: Mother & Father, Sister and Brother-in-law. And I will probably hit my bestie up freestyle because he's already been primed with this in the past.
Selecting other people to come out to is a task I take very seriously.
My wife, exploded a few weeks ago and ended up telling two of her friends. This upset me a bit, but I hope that the damage remains compartmentalized until I can come out to my friends and family first. I suppose I should move a little faster than I previously had hoped. I ended up coming out to a close co-worker who has had experience with another "trans person" in the office. I really wanted his insights into how the company handled it.
I really wanted to come out to my best friend first, but he's had a rough go of this year so far. Two of his family members had encountered cancers in years past and one died yesterday and the other seems to be winning their second battle. It doesn't seem like a good time to brooch the subject. Though I am sure our relationship would survive it. Funny enough, I had "prematurely" come out to him over 15 years ago, but then rescinded the whole deal feeling like my "transness" was not "transy" enough to be a real trans "thing" because I had (have) a "REAL Transwoman friend" who put emphasis on different things in her life. IDK, what can I say, I was younger and much dumber... you can't self-diagnose this stuff! So it you are in the same boat, get some therapy, it is the best money you'll ever spend.
My therapist specializes in "coming out" issues. So I am working up what I want to say so I can go over it with her this week. I want to cover my family: Mother & Father, Sister and Brother-in-law. And I will probably hit my bestie up freestyle because he's already been primed with this in the past.
Comments
Post a Comment